The Israeli army expanded its ground operations in northern Gaza earlier on Saturday, cutting off communications and internet connections and allegedly killing senior Hamas officials.
Aid groups and civil society organizations said they lost contact with employees and their families in the Gaza Strip as a result of the communication breakdown.
“Last night, ground forces entered and continued Expanding ground forces operations. Israeli army spokesman Daniel Hagari said on Saturday that infantry, engineering and artillery forces were accompanied by heavy gunfire. He added that senior Hamas officials, including the movement’s air operations commander, were killed.
“During the night, IDF fighter jets bombed Assem Abu Rukba, the head of Hamas’ air array. Abu Rukba was in charge of Hamas’ drones, drones, gliders, aerial detection and defense. He said On social media. The Israeli army said that Abu Rakba participated in planning the October 7 attack launched by Hamas militants on Israel and “was responsible for drone attacks on Israeli army positions.”
The escalating Israeli military movements increased fears of the approaching ground invasion of Gaza, which was widely expected. Residents in the area have already suffered significant losses from airstrikes and targeted raids.
The head of the World Health Organization said on Saturday ““Reports of intense bombing in Gaza are very sad,” he said, adding that “evacuating patients is not possible in such conditions, nor is finding safe shelter possible.”
“The power outage also makes it impossible for ambulances to reach the wounded. We are still out of touch with our staff and health facilities. I am concerned for their safety,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus He said In the current situation. He appealed to “everyone who has the ability to press for a ceasefire to act now.”
United Nations General Assembly on Friday adopted The UN resolution on the crisis between Israel and Hamas calls for “an immediate, permanent and sustainable humanitarian truce leading to a cessation of hostilities.” The Israeli government rejected the UN resolution, saying: Israel will continue to defend itself. He added that Israel will do what must be done to eliminate Hamas’ capabilities. He said Gilad Erdan, Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations
European Union leaders agreed on Thursday to call for a “temporary pause to meet humanitarian needs” to allow aid to enter Gaza, while European Council President Charles Michel welcomed “strong unity” among the Union’s governments.
Hamas launched its attack on Israel on October 7, killing more than 1,400 people. Israel responded with daily air strikes on the besieged Palestinian enclave, killing an estimated 7,000 Palestinians in Gaza, according to the Hamas-run Health Ministry.
“Infuriatingly humble analyst. Bacon maven. Proud food specialist. Certified reader. Avid writer. Zombie advocate. Incurable problem solver.”