2023 Grand Championship 12
After the University of Texas swept the relay in opening night of the Big 12 Championships, on Wednesday, the first day of competition kicks off from the Lee and Joe Jamil Swim Center in Austin this morning with qualifiers in the 500 free, 200 IM and 50 free.
The title holders will be out in full force on Day Two, as the six individual winners of the 2022 Champions will seek successful title defenses in their respective events.
on the part of the woman, Erica Sullivan We’ll be looking to bounce back in the 500 freestyle, holding the nation’s first this season at 4:35.88, while Kelly Bash (200 m) and Grace Cooper (50 free) will also go for repeat wins.
An intriguing race is to cook in the men’s 500 free, where texas jr Kobe Carosa He comes as a defending hero but will have to face his teammates David JohnstonAnd Luke Hobson And Alec Enert.
Carrozza was 1:32.65 on Team A and Hobson split 1:32.29 with a flying start. Johnston, perhaps the most distance-oriented of the quartet, had a strong split as well, at 1:33.81.
We also can’t overlook Enyeart, a freshman, who set a best time of 4:14.21 at the Minnesota Invite to be second to Johnston (4:13.54) while beating out Hobson (4:16.80).
while, Carson Foster He would take three peats in the men’s 200 IM race, and Daniel Kruger He aims to go five times in a row in the 50 free.
The results of the women’s teams during the first day
- University of Texas – 80
- West Virginia University – 66
- Iowa State University/Texas Christian University – 62
- University of Kansas – 58
The results of the men’s teams during the first day
- University of Texas – 139
- Texas Christian University – 116
- West Virginia University – 75
500 free ladies
- NCAA Record: 4:24.06, Katie Ledecky (Stan) — 2017 NCAA Championships
- Big 12 Record: 4:35.02, Evie Pfeifer (TEX) – 2021 NCAA Championships
- Big 12 Championship Record: 4:36.35, Evie Pfeifer (TEX) – 2021
- NCAA ‘A’ Cut: 4:35.76
- 2022 NCAA Invitational Time: 4:43
- Erica Sullivan (Tex.), 4:45.16
- Olivia Bray (TEX), 4:47.69
- Abby Pfeiffer (TX), 4:49.78
- Jordan Edwards (TCU), 4:50.82
- Olivia McMurray (TEX), 4:51.44
- Abby Reardon (WVU), 4:52.80
- Brinley Horace (ISU), 4:53.32
- Mary Smotney (TEX), 4:53.55
Student in Texas Erica Sullivan She qualified as the top seed in the women’s 500-meter freestyle, running in 4:45.16 to win her last heat and move clear of the rest of the field into tonight’s final.
Sullivan is the defending Big 12 champion and leads the NCAA this season with her 4:35.88 bid from the Longhorns’ double with NC State in late January.
Her little teammate Olivia Braywho would run a best time of 4:40.80 at the Sterkel Classic in early February, led Heat 2 in a time of 4:47.69 to qualify second overall, while Longhorn is a sophomore. Abby Pfeiffer They are joined by sub-4:50 in 4:49.78 for third.
A total of five Texas swimmers will be in the “A” final, with Olivia McMurray (4:51.44) and Mary Smootny (4:53.55), who finished third and fourth last year, and moved up to fifth and eighth, respectively.
TCU’s Jordan Edwards He ran a lifetime best of 4:50.82 to qualify fourth overall, after running in the B final last year.
Men’s 500 Freestyle – Prilims
- NCAA Record: 4:06.32, Kieran Smith (FL) – 2020 SEC Championship
- Big 12 Record: 4:08.19, Townley Haas (TX) – 2019 NCAA Tournament
- Big 12 Championship Record: 4:11.11, Clark Smith (TEX) – 2017
- NCAA ‘A’ Cut: 4:11.40
- 2022 NCAA Invitational Time: 4:14.96
- Alex Zettel (TX), 4:15.04
- Luke Hobson (TEX), 4:16
- Jackson Huckapai (TEX), 4:16.31
- Kobe Carroza (TX), 4:20.04
- David Johnston (TEX), 4:20.25
- Alec Enyeart (TEX), 4:21.96
- Milan Fabian (TCU), 4:25.13
- William Mullen (WVU), 4:27.68
Senior Texas Alex Zettel He held the bull by the horns in the opening heat of the men’s 500 free, sprinting to a massive season’s best of 4:15.04 to take the top seed into tonight’s final.
Zettle has been 4:13 on four different occasions, most recently the 2022 NCAA Championships (4:13.88), but she’s only been 4:25.62 so far this season at the Minnesota Invite. His swim this morning puts him within a tenth of what he needed to earn an invitation to last year’s NCAA meet (4:14.96).
Longhorn sophomores Luke Hobson And Jackson Huckapai He put up a close battle in heat two, holding off his teammate Hobson to qualify for second place in the final in 4:16:18. Hobson has a season’s best of 4:13.82 from late January.
Huckabay orchestrated a significant drop in time, closing strongly (50.73) to touchdown in 4:16.31, more than five seconds off his personal best of 4:21.61 from the Minnesota Invite in December.
Texas will occupy the middle six lanes as final Kobe Carosa (4:20.04), David Johnston (4:20.25) and Alec Enert (4:21.96) They roared on the fourth, fifth, and sixth, respectively.
Sophomore at TCU Milan Fabianwho was 10th his freshman year, clocked 4:25.13 for seventh place, with PB sitting at 4:21.36 from November 2021.
200m for women
- NCAA Record: 1:50.08, Alex Walsh (UVA) – 2022 NCAA Championships
- Big 12 Record: 1:52.58, Madisyn Cox (TEX) – 2017 NCAA Championships
- Big 12 Championship Record: 1:52.82, Madisyn Cox (TEX) – 2017
- NCAA ‘A’ Cut: 1:53.66
- 2022 NCAA Invitational Time: 1:56.85
- Kelly Bash (tex), 1:55.72
- Emma Sticklin (TX), 2:00.88
- Dakota Luther (TX), 2:01.11
- Jacqueline McCutchan (WVU), 2:01.21
- Lucia Rizzo (ISO) 2:01.23
- Trinity Kay (ISU), 2:01.66
- Mia Chitwood (WVU), 2:01.77
- Channing Hanley (TEX), 2:01.91
200 IM – Prelims
- NCAA Record: 1:37.69, Leon Marchand (ASU) – 2022 NCAA Championships
- Big 12 Record: 1:39.63, John Shbat (TX) — 2019 NCAA Championship
- Big 12 championship record: 1:41.32, Carson Foster (Tex) – 2021
- NCAA ‘A’ Cut: 1:41.22
- 2022 NCAA Invitational Time: 1:43.36
50 women’s freestyle
- NCAA Record: 20.83, Gretchen Walsh (UVA) — 2023 ACC Championship
- Big 12 Record: 21.73, Rebecca Millard (TX) / Grace Areola (TX) – 2017/2018
- Big 12 Championship Record: 21.87, Hee-Jin Chang (TEX) – 2009
- NCAA ‘A’ cut: 21.66
- 2022 NCAA Invitational Time: 22.16
Men’s 50′ Freestyle – Prilims
- NCAA Record: 17.63, Caeleb Dressel (FLOR) – 2018 NCAA Tournament
- Big 12 Record: 18.60, Drew Keibler (TX) – 2022 NCAA Tournament
- Big 12 Championship Record: 18.76, Joseph Schooling (TEX) – 2017
- NCAA ‘A’ cut: 18.88
- 2022 NCAA Invitational Time: 19.28
“Alcohol enthusiast. Twitter ninja. Tv lover. Falls down a lot. Hipster-friendly coffee geek.”