The Vikings now have the 21st and 22nd picks of the 2020 NFL Draft.
They got the recipient Jalen RiegerOne spot ahead of the Vikings star Justin Jefferson, a 2023 seventh-round pick and a conditional 2024 fourth-round pick from the Eagles, which could end up being a fifth-round pick. The Vikings released a receiver Ihmir Smith-Marcet2021 fifth-round pick to get on the roster.
Just last week, the receiver KJ Osborne Smith-Marsett and was PC JohnsonIn the position room every day, he suffered a torn ACL in Saturday’s preseason finale.
“It’s very difficult,” Osborne said. “That’s what I’m learning. I’m in year 3, so I’m experiencing some of these things for the first time. That’s the business.”
Rieger gives the Vikings another option at receiver and punt returner, where Smith-Marsette struggled to adjust during the season. Recour averaged 7.3 yards on 31 punts last year for Philadelphia.
Rieger, who has 64 catches for 695 yards and three touchdowns in two seasons, joins Jefferson in a receiver group, Adam ThielenOsborne and Rookie Jalen Naylor.
Smith-Marsette is the seventh member of the 2021 draft class that was vacated by first-year general manager Kwesi Atofo-Mensah. Only two of the draft picks – edge rusher Janarius Robinson and defensive lineman Jaylen Twyman – Returned to the practice squad.
A training committee was formed
The Vikings re-signed 12 players to the practice squad, bringing back Robinson. Nick MuseI run back Bryant KobackGuard Kyle HintonRecipients Tristan Jackson And Dan ChisenaCenter Josh SokolLinebacker William QuenqueDefensive tackles DJ Smith And TwymanCornerstone Barry Nickerson and security Miles Dorn.
There are four open spots on the 16-man practice squad. The team did not immediately decide to bring the guard back Wyatt Davis Or linebacker Chazz Surratt, The 2021 third-round selections were cut on Tuesday.
Updated league rules allow up to six players on the practice squad, while 10 spots are reserved for players with no more than two seasons. Players may be promoted to the active game-day roster up to three times throughout the season before being signed to the 53-man roster.
Mont, Manian land is different
A number after the Vikings. 3 quarterbacks needed Kellan Mont And Sean Mannion Landed elsewhere.
Mondt was waived by the Browns on Wednesday. Mannion chose to sign with the Seahawks practice squad. Both were among the Vikings’ final cuts on Tuesday as the team opted to move forward with a quarterback Nick Mullens As a backup Kirk Cousins.
Monte joins Browns head coach Kevin StefanskiLongtime Vikings assistant, and quarterbacks Jacoby Brissett And Joshua Dobbs On Cleveland’s active roster. Mannion rejoins the Seahawks after spending a month in Seattle during training camp last year.
Mont and defensive tackle Armon Watts Only Vikings cuts requested by other teams. Watts, who started nine games last year, kept the Bears in the division. Watts was a surprise release after lining up as the starter throughout training camp.
The Vikings didn’t have any players offered on waivers, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t submit any claims. They were 12th in the order of priority.
Blacklock relearns security
A new defensive player Ross Blacklock, acquired Tuesday in a trade with the Texans, will work alongside the team’s coaching staff while working out the No. 96 wore. He is joined by Cesena (foot), Robinson (unreleased) and the defender Jonathan Bullard (Unpublished). Blacklock feels confident about how he fits in as he reunites with the defensive line coach Chris RumpHe coached linebackers in Houston in 2020.
“He wasn’t my coach, but he was the same defense we were running,” Blacklock said. “So it’s like an iterative process, so I have to get it back and learn the technique that comes with this defense.”
- I run back Alexander MattisonCornerstone Cameron Dantzlerdeal with Veteran Lowe And Naylor was not seen in practice Wednesday. According to the group, Mattison left for family reasons. First round protection Louis Cini (knee) and a second-round cornerback Andrew Booth Jr (Ankle) Returned to training.
- At tight end Irv Smith JrThe man, who has been training for about a week, was noncommittal when asked Wednesday about his preparations for Week 1: “We’re taking it one day at a time, honestly. I was back here the last two days.”
- After Smith-Marsett was fired — and before Rieger arrived in Minnesota — Osborne, Thielen, backed out. Ty Chandler And the corner Patrick Peterson He went into practice.
- Punter Ryan Wright For the regular season his no. 66 should be replaced. League rules require quarterbacks, kickers and punters to wear numbers 1-19.
- Former Gophers and Minneapolis North standout receiver Tyler Johnson Claimed by the Texans after being released by the Buccaneers on Tuesday.
“Total coffee junkie. Tv ninja. Unapologetic problem solver. Beer expert.”