Russia arrests suspect in attempted assassination of pro-war novelist

The suspect in the car explosion that injured pro-Kremlin nationalist writer Zakhar Prilepin and killed another person has been found guilty of terrorism and arms trafficking charges, Russia’s top investigative body. He said Monday.

Russia’s Investigative Committee, which is investigating major crimes, said in a statement that Alexander Permyakov faces up to 20 years in prison for terrorism and 15 years for arms trafficking.

Permyakov was arrested in the Nizhny Novgorod region east of Moscow on Saturday, hours after the blast hit Prilepin W. killing His friend Alexander Shubin.

investigation committee on Sunday published Footage of Parmyakov admitting to the act and saying he was recruited by Ukraine’s special services in 2018.

State media reports quoted Permyakov’s relatives selected Because he fought on the side of pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine.

Semyonovsky District Court of Nizhny Novgorod on Monday to rule To put Permyakov in remand for two months.

Prilepin, 47, has risen to popularity with novels drawn from his experience serving in the Chechen wars of the 1990s and early 2000s.

Prilepin has been a frequent visitor to pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine since the conflict began in the spring of 2014, and it was widely reported that he had returned from the region to Moscow on the day he was attacked.

Saturday’s car explosion is the latest in a number of attacks and acts of vandalism that Moscow has blamed on Kiev since Russian forces invaded Ukraine in early 2022.

Representative of the Security Service of Ukraine Tell Ukrainian media said he could not officially confirm or deny the involvement of the Ukrainian special services in the car explosion.

See also  Daniel Ellsberg: Pentagon Papers whistleblower dies at 92

The pace and frequency of such acts alarmed the Russian public ahead of the famous May 9 celebrations of the Soviet Union’s victory over Nazi Germany in World War II.

More than 20 cities across Russia have so far canceled traditional military parades and fireworks displays, due to security concerns and the ongoing war in Ukraine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *