NCAA Women’s Quartet Final: Stanford vs Yukon is a must-watch match

One of those coaches, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, has received the lion’s share of the attention, but it’s actually on the women’s side of the game where the confrontation between the coaching titans takes place.

Tara Vandiverer of Stanford Cardinal confronts Gno Orima of Connecticut Huskies. These two coaches lead their teams in a sport that I’m not sure many people understand is very popular and has actually gotten more and more statistically interesting over the past decade.

In case it wasn’t obvious already, VanDerveer and Auriemma are historically good. VanDerveer has coached at the university level for over 40 years and has racked up 1,157 victories. She has only lost 258 matches, which means her teams have won about 82% of the matches she has coached.

The 68-year-old VanDerveer has done well through the ages. she has first two titles With Stanford University in the early 1990s – third came just last year.
Auriemma, who turned 68 last month, has had slightly fewer wins (1148), but is arguably better than VanDerveer. He’s only lost 149 games over 37 seasons, which means he’s won 89% of the time! Auriemma’s teams have He also won a record 11 NCAA Women’s Championships.

And, like VanDerveer, Auriemma has been quite consistent. His first Husky won a title in 1995, while their last was in 2016.

Some may not realize the greatness of VanDerveer or Auriemma because women’s sports are not traditionally given the same esteem in some circles as the men’s side.

The NCAA, for its part, was previously called for the disparities in how players give them versus women in the NCAA tournaments. It was Only this year The NCAA named the women’s championship “March Madness,” a move the organization had previously resisted.
However, it’s important to note that there are plenty of fans out there who have seen how good VanDerveer and Auriemma are. Last year, more than four million people tuned To see VanDerveer win her third title as head coach. That was the highest-rated NCAA women’s title game since 2014.
In fact, in an era when a lot of Offers – Save the NFL – They saw some shrinkage in their audience, and college girls’ basketball maintained viewership. The ratings last year were higher than the tournament 20 years ago.
Geno Auriemma will compete in his 12th NCAA National Championships with the UConn Huskies this year.
Also keep in mind that this game has been streamed via cable, which means it has a smaller pool of potential audience. The women’s championship in 2021 was pretty much the Top Rated Cable Software That night, he easily doubled the MLB Game of the Week that was held on the same evening.
The NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament has more viewers than any of the NHL Stanley Cup games In 2021, which was broadcast partly via cable and partly on network television. She had reviews Just a little less From the Professional Baseball Semifinals: League Championship Series.

Perhaps part of the reason the college women’s game has been so strong even with fewer people owning a cable is that the product has become more and more unpredictable. Statistically, people are more likely to turn to a game where the winner is not easily predicted.

I spoke to Neil Payne of FiveThirtyEight about this phenomenon. FiveThirtyEight has an extension Stat commonly known as Elo It mainly judges how good a team is and then based on Elo, how much one team should be favored over another in the game.

What the Elo data reveals is that the average favorite in the NCAA women’s tournament matches is now favored less than at any time over the past decade. Another way to look at this is that the teams themselves become an equal match.

This is notable because One long term cash From the women’s championship is that the top teams are so much better than the other teams that they are moving away from the “crazy” it is now March Madness Championship.

Compare the women’s side with what happens in the men’s segment. In fact, candidates are favored in the men’s tournament more than they have traditionally been in the average data going back to 2010. In other words, the games are more predictable.

Speaking of less predictable games, just look at Stanford and Connecticut. according to FiveThirtyEightStanford has a 56% chance of winning the game. Connecticut is quite close at 44%.

It should be a good game, and it’s definitely hard to predict. Either way, viewers win.

See also  The Jets would not be "cooperating" like the Lions or other teams that were using hard knocks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *