Wimbledon, England – Matteo Bertini, last year’s finalist at Wimbledon, withdrew from this year’s competition on Tuesday after a positive test for the corona virus.
Bertini’s announcement of his departure came just two hours before he was due to go to court for his first-round match against Christian Karin, and was the latest blow to a Grand Slam match that was already less than usual among the stars. Ranking points for this edition by men and women tours.
Undefeated on the grass courts this season and 8th at Wimbledon, Bertini was one of the leading contenders for the men’s singles title. His departure comes a day after another player, Marin Cilic, left Croatia’s No. 14 standard and the 2017 Wimbledon finalist after a positive test.
The double dislocation boosted Blair’s chances of exploding in the squad at Wimbledon, which has already missed several stars due to injury and competition. Ban on Russian and Belarusian soldiers.
Bertini and Cilic have been in touch with several players in recent weeks. The two played in a bull-court match at the Queen’s Club in London on June 19, which saw Beretini win the singles title and advance to the Cilic semifinals.
The two trained at Wimbledon last week and used the locker room reserved for ranking players. Bertini trained with No. 2 seed Rafael Nadal on center court on Thursday. Trained with No. 1 player Novak Djokovic on the Silicon Center Court.
Djokovic, who said he had not been vaccinated against the corona virus, defeated South Korea’s Kuan Soon-woo in four sets in his first round match on Monday. Djokovic worked well, but was far from his sharpness in other areas, at one point seeing less energy and at one point drowning himself in water. On Tuesday, Nadal is scheduled to play at Wimbledon for the first time since 2019, facing Francisco Cerundolo in the first round on center court.
Wimbledon was canceled in 2020 due to the epidemic and imposed strict restrictions last year following British government guidelines. Corona virus testing was required for players, support team members and competing officers and staff. But there is currently no need for a test at Wimbledon as government orders are relaxed this year.
In a statement, the All England Club said its policy was “in line with practice agreed upon throughout the UK”.
The club said some health and safety measures were still in place. “We maintain improved hygiene and hand hygiene practices and provide full medical assistance to those who are unwell,” the statement said.
The tournament requires no masks, but the player’s medical team wears them for any advice, and the club insisted that Wimbledon’s health and safety policies could be constantly reviewed and updated.
But there is clearly a problem with competition, and it can get bigger.
In all, five of the top 20 men were unable to play at Wimbledon due to obstacles, injuries or illness. After Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, Russia’s No. 1 Daniel Medvedev was barred from competing, and Wimbledon’s decision to block the Russians and their allies from Belarus led to tours in retaliation for removing the ranking points from the competition.
Alexander Sverev, ranked No. 2 at the French Open earlier this month, was ruled out for a long time with a torn ligament in his right ankle.
Hubert Hurkacz, a No. 7 seed and strong contender, suffered an early setback on Monday after being defeated by Alejandro Davidovich Fokina in the first round by five sets.
Berettini, a 6-foot-6 Italian, missed several months of play with his primary playing arm after undergoing surgery on his right arm earlier this season. But he returned to the full-court season earlier this month and has won consecutive titles at Stuttgart and the Queens Club.
“I was heartbroken,” Berettini said A post on his Instagram account He announced his resignation. “I had flu symptoms and have been isolated for the past few days. Although the symptoms are not severe, I decided it was important to do another test this morning to protect the health and safety of my fellow competitors and everyone involved in the competition.
Berettini, like many leading players, stayed at a private hotel in Wimbledon instead of staying at a player’s hotel in central London. He has not been on site at the All England Club since Saturday and will now have to wait until next year, despite his thunderous service and forehand.
“I have no words to describe the great frustration I feel,” he said. “The dream for this year is over, but I’ll be strong again.”
The 33-year-old Cilic, who beat Medvedev in the fourth round of the French Open on his way to the semifinals, is on the rise again. Due to his long distance, incredible service and flat baseline power he was dangerous on the grass and, like Berettini, was one of the players to watch closely in the lower half of the men’s draw.
Cilic may face Natalie in the fourth round; Bertini may face him in the semifinals. But now Natalie’s path, if she’s healthy, seems a little less threatening.
“Total coffee junkie. Tv ninja. Unapologetic problem solver. Beer expert.”