October 17, 2023
Apple is introducing the new Apple Pencil, adding more value and options to the lineup
Today, Apple is providing more options for iPad users with the new, more affordable Apple Pencil. With pixel-perfect precision, low latency, and tilt sensitivity, the new Apple Pencil is perfect for note-taking, drawing, annotating, journaling, and more. The new Apple Pencil is designed with a matte finish and a flat side that magnetically attaches to the side of iPad for storage, and pairs and charges using a USB-C cable. The new Apple Pencil will be available starting in early November.
“Apple Pencil has revolutionized note-taking, drawing and illustration, unleashing endless possibilities for productivity and creativity,” said Bob Borchers, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “In addition to the versatility of iPad, the new Apple Pencil opens up another great option to experience the magic of digital handwriting, annotations, document markup, and more.”
Expanding Apple Pencil selection and value
Apple Pencil pushes the boundaries of creativity and expands the versatility of iPad. The new Apple Pencil delivers amazing features customers love — all at a great value — and works with all iPad models that have a USB-C port. With the introduction of the new Apple Pencil, iPad users can choose the perfect Apple Pencil to match their iPad.
Perform inking, coupling and charging
Apple Pencil sets the gold standard for precision and low latency, and the new Apple Pencil delivers the same advanced pixel-perfect precision, low latency and tilt sensitivity that customers love with Apple Pencil (1st and 2nd generation). The new Apple Pencil works great with iPadOS features like Scribble and Quick Note, and when collaborating with others in free form. When used with the M2 models of iPad Pro, the new Apple Pencil supports scrolling, allowing users to draw and illustrate with greater precision.
The sliding cover reveals a USB-C port, allowing customers to use a USB-C cable to connect to the new Apple Pencil for pairing and charging. When magnetically attached to iPad for storage, your new Apple Pencil enters a sleep state to conserve battery life.
Apple Pencil Assortment
The new Apple Pencil is the most affordable model, making it perfect for everyday productivity and creativity. With USB-C charging and pairing, the new Apple Pencil is great for iPad users (10th generation) and also works with all iPad models that have a USB-C port, including iPad Pro, iPad Air, and iPad mini.
Apple Pencil (1st generation) supports pressure sensitivity, providing a remarkably smooth and natural drawing experience. Apple Pencil (1st generation) works with iPad (10th generation), and the Lightning port on iPad (9th generation) makes it easy to quickly connect Apple Pencil (1st generation) for pairing and charging.
Apple Pencil (2nd generation) enhances and simplifies professional workflow by supporting the tap, double-tap, and move gestures of Apple Pencil on iPad Pro models with M2. Compatible with iPad Pro, iPad Air, and iPad mini models, Apple Pencil (2nd generation) features a matte finish and a flat side that supports magnetic pairing and charging.
Customers can choose the perfect Apple Pencil that matches their iPad model. For more information about compatibility, visit apple.com/apple-pencil.
iPadOS 17 delivers new levels of customization and power
iPadOS 17 takes customization even further on iPad, giving users more ways to get things done easier and faster than ever before, including:
- Notes It introduces new ways to organize, read, annotate, and collaborate on PDF files, and now lets users quickly link one note to another.
- Free form Gets new drawing tools and adds Follow Along to guide collaborators around the canvas.
- Take full advantage of the redesigned iPad display Lock the screen Offers entirely new ways to personalize — with stunning backgrounds, new ways to display favorite photos, and expressive fonts and colors to customize the look of your date and time.
- Interactive widgets Get more at-a-glance information with the ability to get things done in real time with just a tap, right from your lock screen or home screen.
- Messages It brings updates to search and introduces new ways for users to express themselves, including a sticker experience with new emoji stickers and the ability to create live stickers by uploading subjects from photos.
- Coming late this year, Autofill Defines and fills fields in PDF forms, allowing users to quickly add details such as names, addresses, and emails of contacts.
Pricing and availability
- The new Apple Pencil will be available for purchase separately $79 (US), with availability starting in early November.
- The new Apple Pencil is compatible with all iPad models with a USB-C port, including iPad (10th generation), iPad Air (4th and 5th generation), and iPad Pro 11-inch (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation). iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th generation), and iPad mini (6th generation).
- The new Apple Pencil is available for $69 (we) For education. Tuition rates are available to current and newly admitted college students and their parents, as well as faculty, staff, and homeschool teachers of all grade levels. For more information visit apple.com/us-hed/shop.
- Apple Pencil (1st generation) is compatible with iPad (10th generation) and iPad (9th generation). A USB-C to Apple Pencil adapter is required for pairing and charging, and is included in the box with Apple Pencil (1st generation) for $99 (we).
- For current Apple Pencil (1st generation) owners, a USB-C to Apple Pencil adapter is sold separately $9 (we).
- Apple Pencil (2nd generation) is available for separate purchase, and is compatible with iPad Air, iPad mini, and iPad Pro models $129 (we).
- Anyone who wants to start with the basics or move forward with iPad and Apple Pencil can sign up for free Today at Apple sessions available in all stores worldwide at apple.com/today, or for an in-person session online.
Click on Contacts
Apple media helpline
“Typical beer trailblazer. Hipster-friendly web buff. Certified alcohol fanatic. Internetaholic. Infuriatingly humble zombie lover.”