- A New York civil fraud trial against former President Donald Trump and his company is back on track Monday after a state appeals court lifted a temporary stay on the case.
- The order came hours after New York Attorney General Letitia James said she planned to call Trump and his three adult children as witnesses in the case.
- Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron this week found the defendants responsible for fraudulently inflating the values of their real estate properties.
Former U.S. President and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump looks ahead to the day he will address auto workers on Sept. 27, 2023, in Clinton Township, Michigan, skipping the second GOP debate.
Rebecca Cook | Reuters
The New York civil fraud trial against former President Donald Trump and his company is back on track to begin Monday after a state appeals court temporarily dismissed it. stay of the case.
Thursday’s order came hours after New York Attorney General Letitia James said she planned to call Trump and his three adult children as witnesses in the case.
Trump, the Trump Organization and his two-year-old sons, Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, were accused by James of misrepresenting the values of several real estate properties.
Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron on Tuesday found the defendants liable for fraudulently raising those and other assets.
The hearing will address six other claims James made in his lawsuit, which seeks about $250 million.
In mid-September Trump filed the case in the Appellate Division of Manhattan Supreme Court, with James and Engoron presiding over the hearing.
The case sought an interim injunction while the appeals court weighed Trump’s argument that certain claims in the James case should be dismissed because they are barred by the statute of limitations.
That argument stems from a separate appeals court ruling in June Removed Ivanka Trump Defendant in James Case The Court of Appeal said in that judgment that the specific charges against him related to matters beyond the six-year statute of limitations.
But that ruling left Engoron with the responsibility of deciding “the full range of defendants” who might be affected by the state’s statute of limitations.
Trump’s appeal says James and Engron “refused to comply” with the June ruling.
But in Thursday’s order, a five-judge panel of appeals denied Trump’s motion to block the investigation, and lifted a temporary stay imposed by an appeals judge.
Earlier on Thursday, the Attorney General and the defendants submitted separate witness lists for the hearing.
James’ list shows he plans to call 28 witnesses, including Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump and Ivanka Trump.
Former Trump Organization chief financial officer Alan Weiselberg, one of the many defendants in the case, is on James’ list, as is Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen.
This is breaking news. Check back for updates.
“Total coffee junkie. Tv ninja. Unapologetic problem solver. Beer expert.”