Today Apple is releasing iOS 16.4 RC (Release Candidate) to developers, just a week after the previous beta was released. As we covered in detail over the past month, iOS 16.4 includes a number of new features and changes for iPhone users.
iOS 16.4 RC will be available today for beta testers from registered developers. With the over-the-air update rolling in, you’ll be able to install it by going to the Settings app, choosing General, and then choosing Software Update. The new update is also available to public beta testers. The build number for today’s update is 20E246.
It is worth noting that the RC build usually comes days before the official release of a new version of iOS. This means that iOS 16.4 will be available for all users soon.
What’s new in iOS 16.4?
Here are the official release notes for iOS 16.4:
- 21 new emojis, including animals, hand gestures, and items, are now available in the emoji keyboard
- Web app notifications have been added to the home screen
- The sound isolation feature for cellular calls prioritizes your voice and blocks out ambient noise around you
- The Duplicate Album in Photos expands support for detecting duplicate photos and videos in iCloud Shared Photo Library
- VoiceOver support for Maps in the Weather app
- An accessibility setting to automatically darken video when flashes of light or strobe effects are detected
- Fixes an issue where Ask to Buy requests from children might not appear on a parent’s device
- Addresses issues that may cause Matter-compatible thermostats to become unresponsive when paired with an Apple Home
- Crash detection improvements on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models
In addition to iOS 16.4, Apple is also beta testing the following software updates:
- iPadOS 16.4 RC
- watchOS 9.4 RC
- tvOS 16.4 RC
- macOS Ventura 13.3 RC
Did you notice any changes in today’s release of iOS 16.4 RC or iPadOS 16.4 RC? Let us know in the comments below or at Twitter @9to5Mac.
“Typical beer trailblazer. Hipster-friendly web buff. Certified alcohol fanatic. Internetaholic. Infuriatingly humble zombie lover.”